Ask anyone who knows me: I love tennis. Now, that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy other sports because I do. It’s just that I don’t LOVE them like I do tennis…for I am a tennis chick.
Ask me WHY I’m a tennis chick, and it get’s a little complicated, as one simple sentence doesn’t even begin to cover it. And since I don’t have anything going on tonight, I figure there’s no better time like the present to make a list, counting down the reasons why I’m a tennis chick.
10. The smell of a freshly opened can of tennis balls. What can I say…it’s intoxicating. It’s the smell of competition, of perseverance…and winning (hopefully.)
9. The tan lines. The multiple strap marks across my shoulders and back. A pale white torso with matching upper thighs and feet. These were created from countless hours spent kicking butt on the courts, and are a symbol of solidarity for all tennis chicks. They are the marks of a true court warrior, and I wear them proudly, though some occasions do require a spray tan.
8. The stress relief. There’s something about being on a tennis court, working up a sweat as I’m chasing down and smacking tennis balls that just makes me feel better. My endorphin levels increase (the “happy” hormones,) my anxiety levels lower, I relax and forget about the day’s stresses. I even sleep better!
7. The gym workout. More often that I’d like to admit, I’ll skip a much-needed workout at the gym, or even a relaxing run at beautiful Memorial Park, simply because I can. But no matter what, I will NEVER turn down tennis. And get this…it’s actually exercise! I know…crazy right!? It’s cardio and a full body workout including arms, abs, legs, and butt, AND it’s freakin’ fun! I can’t say that about the gym…can you?
6. The fashion. The competition between the top brands to bring us trendy apparel is almost as aggressive as the competition on the courts, resulting in beautiful and functional dresses and two-piece ensembles, complete with matching warm-ups, shoes, hats, and other fun accessories. In no other sport does a chick have so many fashion options to dress as girlie as possible (or not,) and still be fierce.
5. The competition. For me, being a tennis player goes hand in hand with being competitive. I don’t want to play…I want to fight it out, pitting my A-game against yours. For me, it’s that drive that makes this sport so fun!
4. The life lessons. Tennis teaches us tenacity, humbleness, diligence, self-control, and graciousness in both victory and in loss, making it one of the most rewarding and exasperating activities that we can do.
3. The culture. Tennis isn’t just a sport I play…it’s a constant in my life. It brings people together and creates lifelong friends. It’s grass, clay, and hard-courts…something for everyone. It’s American, British, Australian and French…a phenomenon that spans the globe which can be enjoyed whether playing or watching. Tennis is a lifestyle I wholeheartedly embrace.
2. The feeling. It’s difficult to describe the feeling of hitting a perfectly timed shot. The seemingly effortless power of a perfect down-the-line backhand…a smokin’ ace…a ripped forehand winner. It’s pure gratification.
1. The love. The No. 1 reason why I’m a tennis chick? To put it simply, tennis is my true love, my happy place, where matches are won and lost on my terms. I consider myself beyond fortunate to have discovered something about which I’m so incredibly passionate. It’s something that I’m looking forward to enjoying for the rest of my life.
So why do you play tennis? Is it one reason? It it a dozen? Inquiring minds want to know! Please share with us in the comments section below :-)